Wednesday, August 20, 2008

PURPLE SHADOWS



6 x 6"
Oil on gallery wrapped linen
NFS

They say that confession is good for the soul so, I admit it, I am guilty of being addicted to "So You Think You Can Dance!" There it is. What can I say? I like to think I'm above reality TV, but apparently I'm not. Plus, I nurse a long since abandoned, deep desire to have been a dancer, so this particular show is steeped in fodder for fantasy for me.

The winner of the show, Josh is simply amazing. The choreography is stunning and one particular number, done with the top female contestant, leaves me awash with goosepimps and tear stained cheeks every time I watch it. It's a breathtaking creation by Mia Michaels that starts with the two dancers standing side by side, taking tentative steps forward and back to the beat of the music. They're each dressed in black and the stage is bathed in a purpleish-blue light. Josh's face appears full frame and I almost gasp every time I see it. The planes on his incredible face just scream out for a canvas. So, I set up the digital on the tripod, paused the DVR and snapped him.

I want to go back when he's dry and do more work, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome. And now, I'm off to watch that incredible piece just one more time before himself erases it to make room for more mixed martial arts, which oddly enough, I also love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!