Friday, August 8, 2014

LAURA 3
























LAURA 3
30x30" oil on heavyweight canvas
Private Collection

Still working! Feels good! I'm so grateful!

This is our friend Laura who you may remember I was working on when Tim was still here in his earth suit. As a matter of fact I had asked him to take the camera to work and shoot a series of shots featuring her, so it became a chance to feel close to him knowing he saw this through the lens while I worked on it. The painting below was a work in progress when IT happened so I had no desire to return to it, however last week I so felt like doing a large portrait that I went snooping in the folder and found this pose, which was also included in that aforementioned WIP below.

I remember when I was working on this one to the left that I had chosen the pose above to anchor the composition however it gave me a lot of trouble so I abandoned it planning to return to it at a later date.

For some reason when I found the reference shot last week I was really drawn to the fact that her hair was covering her eyes and the pose conveyed an air of mystery. I had a wonderful time working on it all week. That old feeling is back thank goodness. Having something in progress on the easel that beckons each day. It feels a bit like having a good friend waiting, one that you might argue with from time to time when things don't work out, but you're still anxious to see again when you wake up.

Laura hasn't seen this yet. I dunno, I guess I just want to post it as a painting of a person and not put any pressure on myself for her to like it before I do. As I've mentioned before here, she has become a close and trusted friend and has been playing guitar so we jam every now and then, which is so much fun.

I've been listening to the stuff Tim and I recorded and it's been such a gift. There's over 300 sessions, some over an hour each, packed with us talking about what we'd like to accomplish, trying out different drum patterns on "Skippy" the drum machine, a few examples of impatience on both our parts. We were always nervous, even with each other and now, looking back as I listen, for two people with meager skills we hit some pretty nice moments. Sharing that kind of spontaneous creativity united us on a completely different level in such a deeply emotional way, I'm so so fortunate to have this collection to snuggle up with. And of course hearing his voice, his laughter really feels incredible. Sometimes his presence is so strong, it feels as though he never left. I treasure those moments.

I'm doing well actually. I got the distinct impression it's time to get back out into the world, do things, enjoy myself. In my last session with medium Patrick Matthews, Tim admonished me for biding my time and being in such a rush to get there. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I don't wanna do anything to piss Santa off. When I leave I want to jump right into his waiting arms so it's definitely time to start living again.

The garden that was planted in his honor the year he left is doing so well. Everything is growing beautifully. I sit there each day and have a chat with him. It's so peaceful, I feel his presence so strongly that I wanted to thank him. When this arrived I was thrilled to place it right near where I sit. Unfortunately the boys have christened it a few times but I'm sure he doesn't mind.

Anyway, since I'm all pumped up to work, now I'm faced with the task of taking shots of complete strangers to bulk up my reference library. If anyone wants to donate some reference shots I would appreciate it so much. I really feel like painting portraits but not traditional portrait poses so enjoy and have at it if you've a mind to send. And there's no pressure to buy whatsoever at all. There's a different feeling of a relaxed, non-critical atmosphere in the studio lately. I think there's been a slight shift in perception on my part and it seems I'm not taking it all too seriously.

Thanks so much for dropping by. I hope the summer is going well, although it does seem to be speeding by doesn't it?

27 comments:

  1. Amazing - such amazing work. It astounds. I thought it was a photo it has such clarity of light.
    Love her pose. It makes me wonder what she is thinking about.

    The words on Tim's stone are beautiful and so is the garden. I haved at the watering reference! That's life in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Suz!... Paint Lady Paint!... and Play Lady Play!

    Art is the garden of Humanity... and we as artists... are its constant Gardeners Suz. Tend both of your gardens in Tim's honour. Both serve monderfully and respectfully to preserve his memory.

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, knocked it right out of the park! Love the plaque in Tim's garden, and how the boys 'claim' it. They miss him, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paintings of Laura are just phenomenal, Suz. Your talent is so wonderful. I loved reading about the garden, about your ideas of moving forward. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call me a Cosmic Muffin, but I sense from your writing that you are changing, growing ... I am so happy for you, Gunk! The portrait is superb! The first thing that attracted me was that swath of hair sweeping across her face.
    The garden looks so beautiful and serene - perfect spot to meditate. And of course Razz and Blu will christen it :) Honestly, Suz, it is so very good to feel the change in you!!!
    Love
    Kath XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding portrait, Suzanne. I LOVE her hair and amazing folds in her shirt.
    You sound content and that makes all of us happy... Having those chats with him is doing you good, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, so happy to hear you are doing so well and painting so beautifully (as always). Keep that positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suz! It's so wonderful to read your words today. Your Tim Garden is so lovely I would enjoy sitting near it with you... I'm ecstatic to know you're painting again. Smiles and hugs for you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The painting has an intimacy about it, really like the pose, you've painted it beautifully. I also am really impressed with the WIP, but can understand your feelings about leaving it as is. Really enjoyed reading your post, sounds like you are in a good place, and the garden is a wonderful tribute and a lovely spot to sit on reflect on life and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I guess a dog can't raise a glass, but they can raise a leg instead! I did have a rather inappropriate chuckle at that ;0)
    What a lovely thing it is to have a special place to sit with your thoughts of Tim...
    As for the portrait - yes, I remember the portrait you did before of the same lady. Recognized the face straight away - and this is truly fabulous! You certainly haven't lost your touch! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suz
    We have read and re- read your words.... because what you say has so much meaning. We are happy to see you wanting to paint,,, and this portrait is fantastic!
    We love the garden area,, and Tims stone,,,, its perfect,,,!
    We send you love and hugs!
    xoxo
    tweedles and moms

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzanne, It is so good to see this series of paintings continue. The hair mesmerizes me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This all sounds so positive and healthy and just plain GOOD! The portraits are amazing, honestly. The one with her hair featured in so much detail, covering her eyes, and yet you can still discern her expression and her mood.... that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful portrait..and I agree, the hair falling down obscures her and makes her into anyone we want her to be. I love the garden and look forward to reading about your next phase in your project(s). :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been absent for a bit, but what a joy to catch up with a beauty like this and "At the Zoo" Love to see you painting again and these are stunners!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suz, happy you are enjoying your wonderful gift again, God Bless you. You have an incredible talent, to shared with the world. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this paintings very much, thanks for sharing it
    Metal Planters

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suzanne, the garden marker is beautiful and It is indeed, a gift to have those tapes!
    this portrait is awesome, too.
    One step at at time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the way you paint hair. It has a soft edge to it but reads so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the portrait and would be happy to send you some photos if I remember when I get back home. We're in Nova Scotia now. As usual everything you write moves me
    so deeply. This love that continues is both poignant and inspirational to me. Thank you Suzanne for all you do! XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you've got your 'mojo' back and are feeling so much better. Always love your portraits and the way you paint hair especially. Love too, the child portrait so special.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Suzanne I've just 'discovered' your blog by way of Sandra Busby nominating each if us for a blog hop and I have to thank her as I'm always delighted to discover new artists whose work I think is amazing and who I could very easily imagine spending an afternoon discussing life with. Your blog is wonderful-you have a wonderful way with words as well as paint and I've found myself completely absorbed in each post I've read. (I've lost at least an hour reading back to better understand and abandoned my latest commission on the easel! ) I'm so sorry for your loss-the love you share is clear in every word you write and I find it incredibly comforting that Tim is with you still. Reading this post put me in mind of Truly, Madly, Deeply a little -it's a UK movie and always moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suz... You have just been nominated on my blog post for a blog hop! Pop along and have a read :0)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a beautiful portrait, Suzanne.You have tackled the hair so nicely!The slightly upturned nose and deep laugh lines give an impression that she must be a strong woman..and beautiful. I am so glad to see that you are out in the world, hope to see more of your work pretty soon.Take care x

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!