Monday, December 28, 2009

AUDIBLE SHADOWS

















6x8"
oil on canvas
$125

Himself recently hooked me up with GarageBand on our Mac and I couldn't be happier. Used to be, I'd have to wait until the mood to jam overtook his distaste for setting up assorted  microphones, digital recorder, drum machine etc, sometimes only to have a great session missed because of a simple misstep. Now I've got a jam band at my fingertips and keep everything at the ready, including these headphones that are within easy reach at all times. I loved the way the shadows played on the wall, but again grew impatient and critical of myself. It's not going away, I just need to ignore it. Maybe I should regard my impatience as a sign from my higher self that I'm finished with the painting!

Alas, the magic interval of time has passed for yet another year. The day before, the day of and the day after, those are the magical days. After that it's business as usual, except that we get to do a repeat this coming weekend. But, then the stark reality of another shiny new year, another chance to start anew has arrived, hasn't it? The wondering whether or not you're going to stick to your promised goals and planned achievements begins and the inevitable darkness of doubt descends. Thinking I'm far too cool to write a list of New Year's resolutions I'll never keep, I begin making one almost immediately after that thought leaves my awareness. The usual and first for most of us...lose weight, work out regularly, then, for me, stay on schedule in the studio, keep easy to find and decipher records, be more patient with myself and everyone around me and blah, blah, blah.

It all comes down to foolishly expecting I'll wake up on January 2nd a completely different person! A person who, finally, after all these years of making lists one day and ignoring them the next, woke up, looked in the mirror and saw a combination of Martha Stewart, John Singer Sargent, Angelina Jolie, Cesar Millan and George St. Pierre. These folks are germane only to my particular list of personality defects that I'd like to miraculously change the day after New Years. Feel free to insert your own.

Basically, I think I'll decide on 3 very manageable changes I'd like to make in the areas that vex the most, commit to keeping them, be compassionate, require a tad more of myself than I usually do and move on. We'll see.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Turkish Pistachio Nuts and Tanqueray Rangpur Gin and Tonics. I'll say no more.

Audible Shadows
8" x 6" (20.4cm x 15.3cm)
oil on canvas
$125 plus $12.95 shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.

5 comments:

  1. Suzanne, I absolutely love your blog. Not only are your paintings well done, but the written word is interesting, and amusing. Have a great New Year. I'll be looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, my friend!

    I like both the painting and its title. Great job. I love that hot lighting and the stretched out shadows. You captured them perfectly.

    I quit doing resolutions years ago. Especially for New Years. I hated the letdown that occurs almost immediately into the new year when I invariably did not keep them. So now I just set goals as I see a need for them, not when I'm caught up in all the good cheer of the holidays.

    Happy New Year!

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you, your hubby and those two new babies! Your work continues to amaze and inspire me. 2010 will be a banner year for you I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic painting.

    "Cesar Millan"--hahahaha. :)

    Happy New Year!

    I didn't know you were a musician too?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, thank you so very much! I really appreciate your words, a lot. I'm looking forward to your new works. Happy New Year and again many thanks.

    Don, Happy New Year and thanks so much!

    Sheila, Happy New Year! Thank you so much, you are too kind. I so appreciate your prediction! I'd better get to work.

    vivi, thank you! i know there's a way to translate your blog, i'll find it. it's so beautiful.

    Jala, thank you! Happy New Year to you too! An aspiring musician only, but havin' great fun. Take care.

    Also, thank you all. I worry that you might miss my thank yous so I left hellos and thanks on your blogs. Happy New Year and thank you all again.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!