Thursday, December 24, 2009

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A HEART FELT THANK YOU!


Blu and Raz Berry, Christmas Eve - 2009
NFDP

Thank you from the bottom of my little angst-ridden heart for following my work and my whining this year. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, support and advice. They have helped me more than you'll ever know. I've learned so much and look forward to sharing my work and my progress with you all in the New Year.

The fact that you do in fact follow my work is one of the most incredible gifts I've ever received. I remember a time when I excitedly ran downstairs with a completed painting to show a relative what I'd done. I was met with... "You know, we are not here to serve as an audience for your art!" Turns out I don't need them!

It's that time of year again. Happiness is expected. And somehow it always arrives. The sheer excitement of the Christmas Season has stayed with me since I was a little girl, practicing the Christmas morning stair descent with my big bro, weeks before the big day. We thought Christmas was magical and I guess I still do.

This year I've learned so much and I'm so grateful for every lesson. Learning lessons isn't always fun but what would life be without them? Blissful ignorance only works for infants. It's been quite a ride, but in the last decade:

1. I’ve found my spiritual path—or it found me, or it’s always been there and I didn’t remember it, or all of the above—and as a result, every daunting, overwhelming, lingering question I’ve ever had about life, the universe and reality has been, for me, most satisfactorily  answered. Yeah...I know....a bold statement. Nevertheless.

2. More often than not, I veer off that path because I think I know better. Happily, the capacity for pain in human beings is high, but it does have its limits. When I’m ready, that path is right there for me and guilt for turning away isn't the price of admission.

3. Liquin is my closest friend right now. After himself and the kids that is.

4. Beginning work on a black canvas is the most significant change I’ve made to date. I’d read it so many places, heard if from so many artists, but never tried it. Obviously, I’m a tad stubborn.

5. The support and generosity of everyone I’ve met online is staggering to me. I’m an isolator. Even more so now that I’m working from home. I will admit to consecutive days in jammies, although not the same pair. That said, in the last five years I have met more people, made more new friends and produced more work than I have in my entire life.

6. Even though we can’t be who our families need us to be or they can’t be who we need them to be, I believe there is a love that prevails and survives everything. Even not interacting.

7. There’s always room in your heart for more love, no matter what you say after your 12-year old Chocolate Lab focused only on the non-physical.

8. I’ve finally accepted that it really isn’t himself’s responsibility to make me happy, successful, safe and secure. That’s my job. Ironically, believing that has enabled him to make me happier than I ever thought possible.

9. I’m hoping something incredibly clever will spring to mind for number nine, but so far it hasn’t.

10. If I don’t respect my work, my work ethic, myself or my environment, nothing much is gonna happen. I am who I believe I am. I accomplish what I believe I can. I’m as successful as I allow myself to be. My reaction to everything I experience is my responsibility and blaming what’s outside for what’s happening inside is an exhaustive waste of time.

Peace, Happy Holidays and again thank you all.

11 comments:

  1. a Very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Suzanne. I too have met so many great artist friends in the blog world and to think I had never even heard of a Blog a year ago. It is so much fun and inspiring following the artists who are so kind out there in this world. I have definitely enjoyed meeting and sharing information with all.
    May God bless you this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this uplifting post! It is such a pleasure to know you and share in the joy of each new masterpiece you paint. You named so many of the same things on my list but said it so much better than I ever could. I too am an isolator but,oh,what a wonderful, great big hug of love this blog community is! Laughed right out loud at #'s 3&9! Here's wishing you all the best of what life has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    and congratulations on
    your spiritual path...

    I also want to wish you a very
    merry christmas and a happy
    new year.

    I have a friendship award for
    you over here on my blog, so
    I hope you will come and take
    it....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, my friend. I second everything you said. We are truly blessed. Here's to the best year ever in 2010!

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a positive and eventful year you have had, with so many learning experiences.
    The blogging community is so supportive and generous, how did we manage without it.
    Your art is truly wonderful and as unique as you are.
    Wishing you all the best for the coming year.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Holidays, Suzanne!!

    Thank you for sharing your work and your journey with us along the way.

    Oh, and are Blue and Raz getting bigger already or is it just my imagination?

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary, thank you so much! A very Merry Christmas to you as well. I am so grateful for the many new friends and gifted artist I've met online. Your work and spirit are so uplifting and inspiring. God Bless you as well.

    Gwen, thank you! I have appreciated every word of encouragement and kindness and thank you so very much. I wish you the same my friend and I so look forward to each new painting you do. Happy New Year!

    Jesse! Thank you so much for the Friendship Award. How kind of you! I appreciate it so very much! Happy New Year!

    Don, thank you, the very same to you and your amazing family. Incredible portraits of the kids!

    Diana, Thank you so much and I wish you all the best as well. Happy New Year!

    Dean, thank you for sharing as well. I wish you all the joy and love and goodness there is in the coming year. and yes, Blu and Raz are getting huge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had a great Christmas Suzanne! really interesting reading your thoughts and what you have learned. I shall see if I can take some of those lessons on board:) Hope you have a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, dear Girl. I love your honesty in your words; it truly comes out in your paintings too. Wishing you and yours a blessed 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT post, Suzanne!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sent the arrow right to the heart! We are responsible for our own happiness. And when we realize that - everyone wins! I also 'decide' to be happy. Except when people almost hit me with their car when I'm walking. Then I'm cranky. For a long time. Because... geez, would it KILL them to go the posted speed limit or even a little higher, and, well, I'm not exactly hard to see! Anyway, thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts. Generous person you are....

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!