Sunday, May 10, 2009

THE GIRL WITH THE HAIR


18X24"
charcoal, conte crayon on paper
$100

Thank you for your support and kind words Sheila and Don, I was being a brat. You're right, I was being very silly and feeling sorry for myself. Why? Ego. If there's a problem, it's always the ego. I read somewhere that it always speaks first and it's always wrong.

I did discover that the best thing for me to do when I take up residence in the pity pot is to work. It changes everything. Even if what I'm doing doesn't immediately scratch that ego itch, I feel better simply because I took steps to banish the poop. And that's all I can do. What I think and how I feel is completely my responsibility. Period. Before DP, I would let these pity periods carry on for weeks. Now, I know I need to get off my arse and get to work. No need go figure out why, just get rid of it. It's all illogical nonsense anyway.

This is the result. Happy Mother's Day to us all, even those of us whose progeny have whiskers, a cold nose and pant when it gets hot.

6 comments:

  1. Have you ever listened to "Songs for Drella" by Lou Reed and John Cale? It's a tribute album Lou wrote for Andy Warhol. Song 4 on the album is "Work" and Lou quotes Andy in the chorus as saying 'It's just work'. And you're right, work is what it takes to get us out of the pity pot. Hey, nice job with the drawing - Your handling of shadow pattern is always great. -Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Suzanne.

    Sometimes the best thing to do when feeling stuck is to take action.

    "I feel better simply because I took steps to banish the poop."

    That line had me laughing out loud!

    Hope you're feeling better!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sounds exactly like MY offspring! (4 cats, 2 dogs)

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!