Wednesday, May 13, 2009

GOSSIP


20x20"
oil on linen
$180

Ah, the bug life. Gossiping among ants is no different than it is among humans, I would imagine. In the end, it has the odd and unnerving tendency to diminish those who partake in it while elevating the intended target. We don't stop to think that our attacks on others, be they vicious or what could be thought of as harmless, cause those we're speaking to— to wonder just when their own name and character will come spilling out of our mouths and to whom.

I worked in a close knit office years ago. Our boss was a tyrant (yes, yet another tyrant) and we stuck together through our "suffering." I had two really close friends. One friend shared some information about another co-worker in the office that was quite startling. I was sworn to secrecy. I knew that this friend wouldn't mind if I shared this information with my other really close friend, who I thought of as a relative we spent so much time together. I felt no guilt in sharing and in fact was quite proud of my ability to keep a secret afterward. The friend I shared the secret with was equally startled by the information and thought the subject of this information should know what was being said. Without telling me his intentions, my friend went directly to the subject of the information and told him what I'd said.

The very next day, I was staring into this person's inquisitive, hurt and distressed face as he asked, point blank, why and how I could do this to him. I was stunned, ashamed, mortified and crushed. I wanted the earth to part and swallow me up on the spot. Luckily the story went no further and I apologized profusely when I was finally able to own my actions, however my apology did nothing to eliminate years of shame and regret. This incident remains, to this day, one of the most embarrassing and definitely one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned.

Still, I'd love to know what those two are saying.


5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! A bug painting! An awesome one at that.

    I've done the exact same thing you've done and yes it is embarrassing and humiliating because I was a supervisor and should have known better. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think the wife is asking directions while the husband stands over there fuming because he knows he's not lost. Just my guess... Oh yeah, what a great painting! You do such a great job of giving your insects personality thru the composition. Love it! -Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just love this painting!

    And what I see is my stepmother who had a habit of chatting up EVERY body, the sales clerk, neighbor, babysitter, and in front is my dad, or me, or my brother waiting, hoping, praying, that she'd finish talking SOON!

    Rebecca West
    Rivalee Redesign
    www.rivalee.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bugs are back!!!!

    And looking better than ever!

    What are those ants gossiping about, you ask?

    They're discussing how amazingly talented Suzanne Berry is. Isn't it obvious?

    *(~_^)

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!