Thursday, June 18, 2009

MAN DOWN!


36x12"
oil on linen
$450

Have you ever fallen in public? We all know, as long as nothing is irreparably damaged, our pride is more bruised than anything else. You feel yourself losing control for whatever reason, you try to correct, but it's too late...you're goin' down. Thud!

In my last year of junior high school, I was, much to my surprise, gleefully accepted into what I considered to be a very cool clique. The leader of the pack was exactly what I wanted to be. I was thrilled. We all had lunch together, traveled the hallways as a group, and enjoyed what we considered to be very witty repartee. I thought I was in heaven. They liked me...they really liked me!

Then, without warning, it happened. One day someone slipped the head honcho's little chair out from under her as she went to sit down. Thud! Her face turned crimson as arms and legs flailed to regain control. I was completely clueless and had never been in a situation like that and without even thinking, I began to laugh...uncontrollably.

As you might well imagine, I was instantly banished. It's amazing what can happen when the one in charge hands down an edict. It was as if I'd never existed not 10 minutes after the incident. One member of the group, in secret, apologized for not being able to speak to me again, but she was determined not to suffer my fate, and she too turned her back on the outcast. I was very careful, from that point on, not to ever laugh when someone fell and I guess that's a good thing.

That said, I'm having the best time with these freakin' bugs!

11 comments:

  1. Awesome! It came out great Suz. Another beautiful bug painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! And personally I prefer to laugh and have others laugh with me when I fall down. It sure makes it less painful. Of course, I'm not in high school anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! This is hilarious! The title makes it all the more fun. It didn't mean a lot of fun in my old job but I love it here. You're a good story teller too Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 2nd one from the left is trying to keep it together, but I don't know if she's going to make it. I hope she doesn't suffer your fate, but if they're that shallow they don't deserve her in their company anyway. Another beauty, Suz. I love how you treat the many values of red and keep it so rich. And those blue shadows... I know, I always mention them, but I just love 'em. -Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arrghh, high school....a LOATHED high school.
    I fell while running a few years ago. It felt really weird to do it as an adult...

    AS PER USUAL, fantastic technique and creativity fire, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work and story (LOL)! I've been overly anticipating your next bug painting and here it is! I've been checking in daily to see....keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...I'm still laughing! What an hilarious story! Love the painting and the new trend toward filling a long horizontal format. That little downed bug is so funny! Perfect title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! :D This is GREAT!! The title just makes it that much better. Haha. Great work. :) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your bug series! Your oils look like delicate watercolors to me. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!